Rebuilding Place in the Urban Space

"A community’s physical form, rather than its land uses, is its most intrinsic and enduring characteristic." [Katz, EPA] This blog focuses on place and placemaking and all that makes it work--historic preservation, urban design, transportation, asset-based community development, arts & cultural development, commercial district revitalization, tourism & destination development, and quality of life advocacy--along with doses of civic engagement and good governance watchdogging.

Sunday, February 11, 2018

What's the responsibility for maintenance when a property owner installs an appurtenance in the public space for use by all?

The Apollo Apartment building on H Street NE--the building where the Whole Foods Supermarket is located--also has apartments on the back side of the property, on I Street NE.  Adjacent to the bike racks they installed, they put in a seemingly high quality public rated bicycle pump, by Cyclehoop.

But it's broken.  I discovered this a couple weeks ago and had to walk my bike over to Florida Avenue NE to reflate the tire that I tried to add air to there.

I informed them by email, never got a response, and the pump is still broken, with no sign on it saying it is out of order.

I guess I should report it to 311.  But how do they handle service requests on "street furniture" in the public space that is not maintained by the city?

Unworking bicycle air pump at the Apollo Apartments, 617 I Street NE

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the developer have some kind of maintenance bond, and/or was there a maintenance agreement?

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Richard Layman said...

I don't know. I should look into it. My understanding is that such agreements are required.

E.g., with the bicycle racks, I believe that the property owner signs an agreement and agrees to maintain them, when they install their own racks.

OTOH, at least in DC, the city will install racks if requested, and then the city is responsible.

But the city only installs standard steel hoop racks, not architecturally forward racks, not stainless steel.

wrt the comment in the other post about preference to park bike by the street, at 1st and M St. NE (Harris-Teeter) the developer installed racks both by the street and abutting the building.

It happens that the racks by the street are next to a bike share station. They do get used more. I use them myself.

I presume though that the developer is responsible for maintaining them, because they are stainless steel.

====
getting back to your original question, presuming that there is an agreement, I wonder how 311 deals with requests?

I'll file one, to see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home